Professional Scrum Product Owner™
Professional Scrum Product Owner (PSPO) is a hands-on, activity-based course where students explore Professional Scrum and develop an understanding of the critical role that the Product Owner plays on the Scrum Team. Throughout the class, students learn a number of Product Ownership practices that they can use once they leave the classroom while also receiving an introduction to Agile Product Management.
There are many myths and misconceptions about the role of the Product Owner. The accountabilities of the Product Owner, however, go well beyond managing the Product Backlog and writing User Stories. The Product Owner is pivotal to bridging business strategy and product execution in order to help the Scrum Team create valuable products.
In this two day class* students will develop and solidify their knowledge of the Scrum framework and the accountabilities of being a Product Owner through instruction and team-based exercises. Students learn techniques that they can use to help them overcome the challenges that are often encountered on a day-to-day basis. They will do this while learning better ways to work with the organization, stakeholders, customers and their team to provide greater value in the product being delivered.
Scrum.org selects only the most qualified instructors to deliver this course. Scrum.org maintains the defined curriculum and materials to assure consistency and quality for students worldwide.
Version: Scrum Guide (November 2020)
Students are challenged to think in terms of value driven development within Scrum and the Scrum principles, to better understand what to do when they return to their workplaces:
- Increase business agility through the proper execution of the Product Owner role
- Recognize the value of a product over project mindset
- Learn how to bridge business strategy to product execution using Scrum
- Understand that the Product Owner is an Agile Product Manager
- Understand the Scrum Principles and Empiricism
- Understand the Product Owner accountabilities on the Scrum Team
- Learn how to align the team around the business strategy, product vision, Product Goal, and Sprint Goal
- Find ways to effectively communicate the business strategy, product vision, and Product Goal
- Learn techniques for Product Backlog Management, Release Management, and Forecasting
- Identify metrics that can be used to track value creation, and successful product delivery
- Discover techniques to interact with stakeholders, customers, and the members of the Scrum Team
This course is appropriate for students in any industry where teams are working to solve complex problems. The Professional Scrum Product Owner course is for:
- Professionals interested in starting a career as a Product Owner
- Product Owners with some experience in the role that are looking to improve their understanding or fix their misconceptions of Scrum and the Product Owner role
- Scrum Masters wishing to be an effective coach to Product Owners will also find valuable insights in this course
While this course covers an introduction to the Scrum framework, it’s primarily from the perspective of the Product Owner. Therefore, it’s best if the students come to the course with an understanding of the fundamentals of Scrum, ideally as demonstrated by passing the Scrum Open.
The Professional Scrum Product Owner course covers a variety of topics:
- Agile Product Management
- Value-Driven Development
- Scrum theory & principles
- The Scrum Framework
- Product Backlog Management
- Releases & Forecasting
Assessment and Certification
All participants completing the Professional Scrum Product Owner course will receive a password to attempt the PSPO I assessment. Participants who attempt the PSPO I assessment within 14 days of receiving their free password and do not score at least 85% will be granted a 2nd attempt at no additional cost.
Students are also entitled to a 40% discount on the PSPO II assessment once passing PSPO I.
These industry-recognized certifications require a minimum passing score on the associated rigorous assessment. Scrum.org maintains a public list with everyone holding a PSPO I & PSPO II credentials.
The class will be an online Zoom meeting starting from 9:00am - 5:00pm CET. Students work in small groups in breakout rooms using Miro.
Joining instructions will be sent along about one week before the class start date.
To participate in this Virtual Classroom you need:
- Access to a laptop or computer
- A stable internet connection
- A webcam so that you are visible
- Good headphones with integrated microphone
Have the invoice paid by your employer? Then register for the course and choose payment method "Invoice / Bank transfer" in the checkout.
If you are a private individual and not entitled to deduct VAT, please contact us.